Petworth House is a late 17th century, grade one listed mansion set in seven hundred acres in West Sussex and was previously occupied by Lord and Lady Egremont.
The building was rebuilt in 1688 by Charles Seymour, 6th Duke of Somerset and altered in the 1870s to the design of architect Anthony Salvin.
The estate is now administered by Britain’s National Trust.
The impressive Cloister Garden features two large pergolas (36.6m long x 3m high x 4m wide) occupying the site of what was previously the old tennis court.
The pergolas are planted with Wisteria floribunda ‘Alba’ and underplanted with cream camassia.
It took fourteen years to train Trachelospermum asiaticum, a scented flowering jasmine, onto the evergreen columns flanking the pergolas’ square openings.
Verbascum, lavender, iris, cistus, agapanthus, yucca, rosemary, and Gallica roses are planted around an octagonal spring-fed pool in the middle of the architectural structure.